Want to share this article? Visit our re-post guidelines.
Electromagnetic Radiation: Dangers You Can’t See with EMFs
- EMF Frequencies exist in everything from cellphones to Wi-Fi, yet we’re still unsure about the amount of damage they can have on our health.
- The world of electronics is consistently moving more aggressively towards a “wireless” environment – but this could mean exposure to dirty electricity that has been linked to various conditions, including cancerous tumors, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and dementia.
- Further research into EMF exposure has suggested that it may have a direct link with cancer growth – particularly in animal studies. What’s more, governments across the globe have begun to take steps to reduce social exposure to dirty electricity and dangerous frequencies.
- Cellphones are only one of the risks that we should be aware of when it comes to limiting our exposure to dangerous EMF energy. Just because we can’t see dirty electricity doesn’t mean that it doesn’t pose a threat.
- There are many ways that you can work to limit your exposure to EMFs, by minimizing cellphone use, returning to a “wired” way of living, and ensuring you don’t have too many “smart” devices in your home.
- Children should be exposed to EMF energy as little as possible. While we wait for confirmation regarding connections between wellbeing and electric radiation, it’s crucial to use caution.
What Are EMFs (Electromagnetic Fields)
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), electromagnetic fields, or EMFs, are everywhere. These fields of energy interact negatively with our bodies because the human form emits its own highly-sensitive electrical and biochemical responses. In other words, the unnatural EMFs developed by modern devices clash so violently with our natural fields that they cause our systems to malfunction.
People can react differently to EMFs. While some people fail to recognize any symptoms at all – others with “EMF sensitivity“ experience a range of common symptoms. Particularly, children and those with low immunity often suffer from:
- Problems with their nervous system – resulting in fatigue, sleep disturbances and stress
- Aching in limbs and muscles
- Skin symptoms such as prickling, rashes, and burning sensations
- Eye-related symptoms like burning and blurriness
- Depression and foggy thinking
- Ear, nose, and throat symptoms
- Digestive disorders
In some cases, frequent exposure to high levels of EMFs has been connected to the onset or development of cancerous tumors.
The Erroneous Evolution of Cellphone Technology
Despite the fact that science remains unsure about the impact electromagnetic fields are having on the human body – we’re constantly developing new ways to implement them into our lives. Consider cellphones, for example. Cell phones were originally introduced in the 1980s, and today we’re living in a world where these devices are used for everything. People live their lives attached to their smartphones – even taking their devices to bed with them at night.
In the late 90s, the International Agency for Research on Cancer suggested that the relationship between cancer and cell phones should be evaluated. In 2000, research into the “Interphone study” began. The results – released years later, seemed to eventually indicate that “heavy users” of cellphones had a doubled risk of glioma (a life-threatening brain tumor), following ten years of use. Most importantly, the definition of “heavy users”, were people who used a cellphone for two or more hours a month.
Yet, in the wake of this information, society’s reliance on mobile technology is growing more severe by the year. Now, more people are using their cellphones almost consistently – keeping them by their sides at all hours of the day. On top of that, cell phones are readily given to children at young ages, although we still don’t understand the health consequences they pose.
At the same time, manufacturers are creating new ways to make technology more “wireless” than ever – creating larger Electromagnetic fields. You only need to look at companies like Apple for proof – who recently removed the headphone jack from the iPhone 7.
The truth is that the facts surrounding health and cellphone use remain cloudy – but experts advise prudence. Even the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention were quoted to say: “We recommend caution in cellphone use.”
The Link Between Cellphones and Cancer
Perhaps one of the biggest threats that has been associated with EMFs and cellphones – is the link that they may have with cancer. For instance, even if you don’t read gossip magazines, you probably hear about the issues that celebrities have been experiencing with their health. For instance, LeBron James suffered from a tumor in his jaw during 2009 that some scientific minds have linked to excessive cell phone radiation.
Of course, more people than just LeBron James struggled with parotid gland or salivary gland tumors. For instance, Adam Yauch and John McCain from the beastie boys experienced similar problems. While there’s no direct evidence to prove the cause of these tumors, some industry professionals have cited EMFs as a leading cause. After all, celebrities are frequently exposed to radiation during travel, and consistent cellphone use.
Studies into the connection between cellphones and cancer are currently ongoing – but there are signs of cause for concern. For instance, a study in May 2016 showed worrying results when rats were exposed to the EMF fields emitted from wireless devices and cellphones. The research exposed thousands of rodents to electromagnetic radiation over their lifetimes. In the end, the rats who experienced higher levels of EMF were more likely to experience rare forms of heart and brain cancer that couldn’t be easily explained. Some of the rats experienced glioma – a tumor in the glial cells of the brain, while others had schwannoma in the heart. Contrastingly, none of the control rats developed such tumors. Concerns about these findings are furthered by the fact that previous epidemiological studies of cellphone exposure and humans suggest associations with these specific tumors.
The Evidence of EMF Threats
While many cellphone and wireless companies suggest that scientific research remains too stunted to prove a connection between electromagnetic fields and health problems, the existing implications are overwhelming. For instance, in 2007, the Bioinitiative Working Group released a report citing more than 2,000 studies which detail the toxic effects of EMFs from various sources. Upon the release of this report, the experts concluded that chronic exposure to even low levels of radiation can lead to connections with cancer, immunity impairments, Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease, and dementia.
If that wasn’t enough, every study into the presence of brain tumors in connection with EMF exposure that examines more than ten years of use shows an increase in brain cancer risk. A recent study obtained from Sweden is particularly worrisome, as it suggests that people who begin using cell phones as teens have a five times greater risk of brain cancer than those who start using these devices as adults. The risk of cancer increases further for people who use their phones on one side of their head. While defenders of cell phone safety suggest that no scientist can prove the harmful impact of EMFs in humans, a reliable body of research into animals show that electromagnetic fields open the blood-brain barrier. This means that exposure to the electromagnetic fields caused by wireless technology could cause blood vessels to leak fluids into the brain and damage neurons.
Despite the arguments that some EMF-friendly companies make, other countries across the globe have begun to revise their exposure standards. For instance, members of the European Union (who have lead the way in EMF investigations) are taking steps to protect their citizens. Over the past two years alone, England, Germany, and France have dismantled wireless networks in public libraries and schools, while other countries begin to follow suit. Israel have also banned the placement of antennae for cellular receptions on residences, while Russian officials advise against cell phone use for those under 18 years of age. The question is then – if EMF exposure was safe, why are so many government officials taking steps to reduce our exposure to it?
Cellphones are Only One of the Risks
Although cell phones are the devices most commonly cited in reference to problems with EMF exposure – dirty electricity represents another concern. The human body is a kind of complicated communication device, where organic tissue and cells talk to each other to perform basic functions. These conversations are created by bio-electrical transmitters and receivers that are carefully tuned and sensitive to interruption. This means that exposing extra frequencies to the mix leads to static – a problem which prevails in the electrically thick modern environment.
It isn’t only cellphones that pose a problem in this instance – but all forms of dirty electricity, or power that is corrupted by modern appliances. Everything from cell phone transmission antennas, to cell phone chargers, power supplies, and variable speed fans disturb the electricity in the atmosphere. While the resulting “dirty electricity” that hangs in the air around us is invisible, it can have a biological impact on the human body – according to research. In fact, epidemiologist Sam Milham found that many of the major diseases of the modern age including diabetes, cancer and heart disease may all be triggered by dirty electricity.
During his studies, Dr. Milham showed that populations less exposed to EMFs were less plagued by disease than those in urban areas. What’s more, rural death rates were found to correlate with levels of electrical service for many of the causes examined. This research indicates that society is overlooking the damaging nature of electromagnetic fields when examining factors that impact health. It is clear today that we need to thoroughly assess the way that electromagnetic radiation interferes with our health, and be more cautious about our exposure to dirty electricity.
Electromagnetic Radiation is Everywhere
Though the research underlines cause for concern, the world seems obsessed with the pursuit of gaining more wireless equipment than ever before. We now have smart homes that use EMF frequencies to allow communication between various appliances within a property, as well as excessive Wi-Fi, Bluetooth connectivity, and an unlimited number of cell phone towers. All of these systems are coming together to produce more dirty electricity than ever before. Here are just some of the places you might expect to be exposed to electromagnetic fields in your everyday life:
- At home: Cordless phones, hairdryers, vacuums, refrigerators, microwave ovens, irons, televisions, electric blankets, electric toothbrushes, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi enabled appliances.
- In the office: Florescent lighting, laptop computers, fax machines, photocopiers, scanners, cellphones, and Wi-Fi.
- Outside: Power lines, electrical substations, cities that provide nationwide Wi-Fi, electromagnetic radiation from neighbor’s electric equipment.
Limiting Your Exposure to EMFs
With so many sources of potentially dangerous EMF energy looming over the average person’s typical environment, it may seem impossible to limit your exposure. However, there are ways to reduce the impact that dirty electricity may be allowed to have on your wellbeing, and the health of your family. People who live within suburbs and cities are generally bathed in a range of different electromagnetic fields – regardless of whether they’re indoors or outdoors. While the evidence might indicate that we need to invoke more precautions regarding EMF exposure, until the matter is taken seriously, the responsibility of ensuring safety falls on each individual separately.
Perhaps the best solution is simply to go back to corded options for technology, and avoid the apparent conveniences that come with smart home solutions. While it might seem like a good idea to have a coffee machine, printer, and refrigerator all connected by Wi-Fi – the dangers may outweigh the benefits. To minimize the risk to your brain, and the health of your family, try some of the following advice.
- Do not let your child use cell phones. Children are particularly vulnerable to electromagnetic frequencies, so barring an emergency situation, children should not be permitted to use any kind of wireless device – including cellphones. Remember, your child has a thinner skull than you do, meaning less protection against dirty electricity.
- Minimize cell phone use. While it might not be possible to throw your cellphone away – you should at least turn it off more often. Reserve your phone for use during important matters and emergencies. If your phone is on, it’s emitting radiation – even when you aren’t making calls.
- Respect the presence of EMF Sensitivity. Keep in mind that some sensitive individuals can feel the impact of cellphones being used by other people in the same room. If you’re on public transportation or in a meeting, turn your cellphone off. Also, the fact that children are more vulnerable to EMF energy means that your wireless technology should always be off around youngsters.
- Reduce your use of wireless devices. Just as it is a good idea to limit your use of cellphones wherever possible, it’s important to ask yourself whether you should constantly be using wireless technology. Look around your home and ask yourself whether the amount of tech you have access to is crucial, or whether you might be able to cut down.
- Use wired devices. Using a wired device such as a headset to answer phone calls, will allow you to keep your cellphone farther away from your body. Just make sure that the technology you choose is properly shielded to protect your brain from excess radiation.
- Avoid carrying your cellphone on your person. You can lower your exposure to EMF waves by keeping your cellphone in a bag or purse when you’re out of the home – rather than carrying it in a shirt or pants pocket.
Never Sleep with Your Wireless Devices
According to studies, around 44% of people sleep with their cellphone within reach. Some people do this so that they can access their phone quickly, whereas others like to play games or browse the internet before bed. Unfortunately, there are a wide range of problems that come associated with this habit. For instance, smartphones emit blue lights that trick the brain into keeping you awake, and malfunctioning technology could represent fire hazards when left unchecked overnight. Most importantly however, sleeping with electronics around you – such as your smartphone tucked underneath your pillow – means exposing yourself to unnecessary EMFs.
Most experts recommend that we should avoid sleeping with any wireless electronics around us. Instead, you should aim to keep your cellphone as far away from your bed as possible – particularly when it is on, and charging. It may even be a good idea to switch your phone into airplane mode while you sleep.
Caution is Essential with EMFs
The fact is that we don’t know enough about electromagnetic frequencies today to expose ourselves to them as abundantly as we do. Studies are still ongoing when it comes to determining how dirty electricity and EMFs impact the human body, and that alone is enough to suggest that we should be using extra caution around wireless devices, cellphones, and Wi-Fi.
As the information into EMFs and health grows wider, it seems that it’s best to avoid frequent exposure where possible – particularly with children, since they are likely to use wireless devices for a much larger percentage of their life.